In “Denise’s Do-Over” by Susan Decatur, newly divorced Denise wants to begin to date but isn’t sure where or how to meet men. A female friend suggests online dating. Denise has reservations about it, but decides to give it a try. Will she find success?
“Denise’s Do-Over” will be a part of TDW’s Home View Theatre. Home View will feature six short video productions to be released every two weeks between the end of September and the middle of December. For more information about Home View Theatre, including how to purchase tickets, go to The Drama Workshop’s website at www.thedramaworkshop.org.
Amanda Emmons-Shumate will direct “Denise’s Do-Over” which will be entirely cast, rehearsed and filmed online. Those auditioning will need access to a computer in order to participate.
“Denise’s Do-Over” calls for a cast of two woman and four men roughly between the ages of 40 and 65. A description of the characters in the video can be found at the end of this release.
Audition videos must be submitted to Amanda.firstname.lastname@example.org by October 4th.
Virtual rehearsals will begin October 12th.
In order to audition:
- Those auditioning should prepare a video (approximately 1 minute in length) in which they talk about online dating.Actors can use the following questions to help guide them on what they could talk about in the video. They can talk about one or more of the topics below or they can come up with their own topics around online dating.Actors should appear in the video as a character. That character could be “themselves” or they can create their own character to portray in the video or base one off of the character descriptions for the play.Discussion topics could include:
- Have you ever experienced online dating?
- What are your perceptions of online dating?
- Funny or inspiring stories revolving around online dating?
- How you would imagine the perfect first date with someone you met online?
- Problems you foresee with online dating?
- Benefits you see with online dating?
- How do you feel society views online dating?
- Dating in the past versus dating now?
The director is looking for tone, facial expression, clarity, voice, energy, and insight. She suggests that actors think of it as a casual conversation revolving around the world of dating.
Along with their video submission, actors should include the following:
- A Headshot
- A Résumé
- A List of conflicts for October and November (please include all dates and times you are unavailable for evenings and weekends)
- A List of roles you are interested in playing. (See Cast of Characters below)
Cast of characters:
Denise: A recently divorced journalist in her early fifties to sixties who’s mentally and physically “young” for her age
Crystal: Denise’s still attractive best friend from high school who has been divorced twice and doles out dating advice
Elliott: A divorced lawyer in his late forties to fifties who is bitter over getting fleeced by his ex-wife
David: A divorced ex-jock in his late thirties to forties who behaves narcissistically and brags about his physical attributes that he no longer possesses
Earl: A widowed man in his seventies to eighties who tries to pretend he’s twenty years younger
Dan: A divorced, physically fit and attractive, friendly man in his late forties to fifties who’s been dating for 5 years.
All audition materials must be submitted to Amanda.email@example.com no later than October 4.